“M’zungu! M’zungu!”
Jeremy and I were out the door at a little after 8am on
Sunday with Jesse and Patrick.
We bumped along in the old 80’s Land Cruiser
(the typical “missionary rig”, right?).
The traffic was a little less since it
was Sunday morning, so we only had maybe 2 or 3 close calls. We were on our way
to visit a small church up-country.
We made our way out of the more central
area of Bujumbura and passed through several “squatter” settlements turned
outskirts of Buj.
We went up…up…up…through the smoky haze, avoiding cattle,
goats, bicyclists, and kids with baskets on their heads. The further up we went
the less buildings there were.
Finally, as we came around a curve we saw up
ahead on a bluff to the left a small brick building with a small cross over the
front door. We pulled over to the side of the road and parked, hopped out and
found some rocks to put behind the Land Cruiser's wheels.
When I looked up I saw
a mass of small faces with inquisitive eyes looking down at us. I smiled. These
were the kids of the church. The future of Burundi. There was at least 100 of
them, likely more. We cautiously crossed the road and made our way up the steep
dirt embankment to the more level ground
near the church building.
The kids rushed at us!
Some with broad white toothy smiles,
others with shy, but curious eyes—they politely held their right hands out at
us while their left arm crossed their chest and their left hand rested on the
forearm of their right arm (showing respect).
As soon as we grasped one of
their hands the child whose hand it was would turn with a proud grin on his
face and shout “M’zungu! M’zungu!” –he had just shook hands with a white
person—what a reason to be proud! Some kids turned it into a game and reached
out their hands again and again for a handshake. Others—more shy—would politely
shake once and then observe from a safe distance.
Adults came too. The women, a little more reserved, waited
next to the building until we came closer, but the men came forward with big
smiles and greeted us warmly with a hearty handshake. We were led inside and,
as is the custom, were shown our seats at the front of the building, facing the
congregation. I felt somewhat uncomfortable, but was relieved when another man
asked us to move to another bench and in the shuffle someone else led me to yet
another bench where I then remained for the next three hours. At least I was
sitting with the congregation and could let Jeremy be the one feeling
uncomfortable up at the front.
We remembered our Savior with these Burundian believers and
it was sweet. At one point I looked around and just enjoyed seeing all the dark
faces with shining eyes and bright smiles.
The first service ended and there was a short break where
one of the men who spoke English led me outside to show-off their hillside. The
smokey haze had cleared a bit and we were able to make out Lake Tanganyika. He
pointed out various buildings on the steep hillside. He then gave me a brief
history—in his broken English—of the history of this church.
Initially a small group of believers met in the home of one
of the families.
As more people put their faith in Christ and joined the first
believers in their home on Sundays to remember their Savior and learn from the
Word of God, they realized they needed a bigger space to meet together.
Four
years ago they built a church building right on a piece of land that years
earlier during the war a group of foreigners were killed on. I can’t help but
think that maybe they thought it would be a good place to show that not only
was Burundi—in a sense—a new country, but that Burundian people were being made
new too. Today the congregation is about 150 people, 100 or so of that number
being children.
After giving me the short history of the church and showing
me the view, I was led back into the building and we began to sing. From last
Sunday I had learned that Burundians highly value music! Each church, no matter
the size, has several “choirs”. This church in particular had 6 I believe. We
got to enjoy singing and clapping along with the choirs at times, at other
times we just listened. It was beautiful.
(I have a great video of the kids singing, but the connection is too slow to upload it.)
After much singing there was then a short message, which
Jesse preached. Then there was more singing. After about an hour or so it was
Jeremy’s turn and he was supposed to give the longer message. He spoke in
English and Patrick translated into Kirundi.
Meanwhile I was trying to focus
while sitting on a short narrow wooden bench with no back. If you have long
legs—like me—you understand how hard it can be to keep your legs bent for so
long!
(During the various prayer times, when no one was looking, I would stick
my legs straight out in front of me and stretch a little bit. Maybe it wouldn’t
have mattered, but I didn’t see anyone else sitting with their legs out in
front of them so I figured I should refrain.) =D
Around 1pm or so the final service ended and people began to
clear out. Those who hadn’t greeted us earlier made a point to do it then. It
was very nice.
The sun was shining through the open blue doors, so as
Jeremy and the others visited with some of the men of the church I headed out
to the front to see if I could talk with some of the kids hanging around. I
smiled and they smiled back. Then I took some of their photos and then showed
them their photo on the small screen on my camera. They lit up and laughed! It
was so fun for them to see their photo.
I sat on the front stoop and enjoyed the view with the kids
who sat near me.
Our friend Patrick then arrived and he was able to translate
for another young man who had all kinds of questions for me about my life in the States or asking for
clarification on things.
Finally we were brought back inside to enjoy a true
Burundian lunch with some of the men of the church. They arranged four of the
benches into a square and then used four more benches to create tables. We then
ate, talking only with the people on our bench, and eating a Burundian meal of
rice, chicken with sauce, fired potato patties, peas, and kasava. Once we
finished our meal, dessert was placed before us: cold bottles of Fanta, citron
flavor. As we drank our dessert, the “speeches” began.
This is customary. One
of the leading men of the church gave a talk saying thank you for coming and
preaching to them from the Word of God. It was during his talk that I
discovered we were the first ever M’zungu’s to visit them! He said the kids—and
also adults—were very excited about this. Once his talk was done, Jesse was
expected to give a response speech. I’m not sure what he said because I can’t
remember what Patrick’s translation was. Then another leading man of the church
gave his speech and a response speech was given. Then there was some brief
conversation and the speeches were over. Jeremy then felt like he should say
something and thanked the men for having him come to share with them from God’s
Word. They were delighted to hear him speak up and have Patrick translate. They
smiled big and said many thank you’s. They ended by telling us to please come
visit them again.
We headed back down the bluff and crossed the road. Removed
the rocks from behind the wheels of the Land Cruiser, turned around to head
back down the hill and were on our way around 3:30pm.
I enjoyed this past Sunday very much. It was memorable for
me.
I was able to observe the Burundian culture and appreciate the way they did
things.
Most importantly, I was told that it is important for the
believers in the States to pray for the Burundian believers, just as the
Burundian believers pray for you in the States. I was also told to greet the
believers that I know from Believers in Burundi: "Amahoro" (which means peace).
Count yourself greeted. =)




3 comments:
Thanks for the update! I love the photos and the cultural experiences are interesting. I can't wait to hear more.
Thanks so much for "taking us along" vis this blog! What sweet fellowship for you all. Looking forward to exploring Tanzania with you! xoxo
So, so excited to hear about all the adventures God is taking you on! Love you guys, and thanks for taking the time to document these amazing times in your lives for us! :)
Post a Comment