Sunday, March 02, 2008

Those Quiet Times

I didn't go to church this morning. Although I felt okay when I woke up, I sounded horrible due to a cold that's been traveling from one person the next here at school.
I went to bed at like 9 last night just totally out of it, and slept hard until my alarm went off at 7. Not long after getting up I realized my cold had finally let loose and everything that was clogging me up was deciding that today was drainage day. (sorry for that visual, nasty, I know!) So coughing through church and infecting everyone else didn't sound like such a good idea to me. I decided to head to the quiet little corner room that I've found as a perfect place for those quiet times a person needs to just think, pray, and just linger on the things of God.

After reading Psalm 100 and then 136 (all about God's mercy, it endures forever!) I opened a book that Nate loaned me last time I visited him called 'In Pursuit of God' by A.W. Tozer. I could totally relate to the prayer at the end of chapter one:

"O God, I have tasted Your goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of my lack of desire. O God...I want to want You; I long to be filled with longing; I thirst to be made more thirsty still... Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to my soul, "rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow You out of this misty lowland where I have wandered so long..."

The other day in chapel a teacher that I so appreciate, Harold Holeman, gave a message that I can't remember a lot of except that he asked: "When was the last time you shared about Jesus Christ with someone?" and "When was the last time you cried when reading from His Word?" Very challenging questions. I often find myself in a rut. Wanting to be close to God, and yet not completely desiring it. Other things get in the way. If I truly desire God, thirst for Him, long for Him, why do other things get in the way? Isn't what He did for me so much more important than all those little things that get in the way? So often I feel so apathetic, nonchalant, uncaring.

I guess my hope is that through this post you can be challenged as I have. Truly desiring God should be key in each believer's life...a desire and activeness to know God will allow the other things to fall into place. I can see this in many peoples lives...most of them older people who have learned over time what it really means to desire God and that other things in life really aren't all that important.

Thanks to you older friends and family who read this, what examples you are and continue to be!

1 comment:

ken said...

When does one become an older friend, with time or the years of age? Being steadfast in our faith and continually seeking after God keeps one healthy for sure, but it reveals our ugly flesh as well, and how far short we fall of God's glory. I remember thinking years ago, that when I get older, it will be easier to walk in the Spirit. Our adversary keeps reminding me that this is a battle to the end, and he isn't about to give up. I'm sorry you were not feeling well, but I'm thankful for the time of quiet and the things the Lord spoke to you as you reflected on His word and meditated on Him. A question I might add is, "When was the last time you wept because of your sin?" The responsibility of being an older friend that has been given much, means much is required. My constant prayer is that I finish well. Thank you for posting your thoughts and reminding us to continue to pursue God.

In Christ, ken