Sunday, April 17, 2011

Personal Projects

This table and chairs set is a personal project that Jeremy just recently finished.

I wish I had a "before" photo. The set was actually a very dark stain, but was severely water damaged. Jeremy sanded the table and six (four shown) chairs down and restained them.

The table we have been using for almost two years; the chairs, however, recently got their last spray of lacquer and we now have a beautiful table and chairs set!

And the best part?

FREE!




This kitchen island was not free.
BUT, Jeremy slaved over this project for a long time for me. I love it!

I have about a 2'x3' kitchen counter top space. Not enough for someone who loves to cook and bake and often for more than just the two of us.
Jeremy decided to design and make our own island...on locking wheels no less!

Oh, and I like to brag about this part:
no, it's not stained. Not at all. Can you guess how it got the dark look?















It was BURNED!

He used a torch on all the wood and then brushed the soot off with a stiff wire brush
(he came home black, too!)
The cool thing that happens with this technique is that the wood has some texture.
The grain, being a denser wood, didn't burn as easily as the non-grain wood so it left a ridged texture.

I love it! Oh, and the cutting board with the edge that hooks is from IKEA ($11.99).


Thanks Jeremy, you rock!
(But not like Rocky.)




2 comments:

~ Tandis ~ said...

WOW! Impressive work he does. I love both the table/chairs and the island. That's a cool "burn" technique. Where did he pick that idea up at?

Jessica said...

For some reason I have been unaware of these blog posts. How come?

Beautiful table and chairs.....and island! :))