Saturday, May 11, 2013

Another Bit of Travel: The Bay Area

I find it interesting and lovely that God cares about the seemingly little things that we care about!

I'll be honest.

When I was first asked to speak at a conference in New Jersey I thought: "Nope, not my thing. I know Jeremy is going to tell me I should so I won't tell him I was even invited." But I immediately felt a bit guilty. 
I also thought, "you know, I should actually pray about this instead of taking the easy route out by 'saying no' right away."

So I did. 

I prayed about it. I also told Jeremy.
And you know what? I agreed to speak at the conference.

Shortly after, I received another invite. San Francisco area. Really?! 
Again, it would have been easy to say 'no'. Public speaking isn't really my thing.

Well ya' know what?

These speaking engagements aren't about ME.

So I found myself--agreed to both--and my mind beginning to race of what exactly I would share and how I would do it. Lots of ideas ran through my head. After several outlines and much prayer I came up with my presentation and I was able to pull off both with

I THINK

at least some clarity and fluidity to the presentation.

In the end, people knew a bit of my testimony, a bit of how Jeremy and I met and came to the place where we are now heading to Burundi, East Africa. 
I shared about what is happening in Burundi---in Africa, and how we hope to be involved there.

I got to meet so, so, so many wonderful godly ladies who love the Lord and who are prayer warriors. Ladies who pray in groups and told me they'd be praying for us. Several who want prayer requests regularly so that they can be up-to-date and knowledgeable in their prayers.

How blessed we are---how blessed I am---to have been invited to speak and share!


You know something that is kinda fun about being invited to speak places?
Getting to SEE the new places!
I love to go places.
I enjoy seeing different parts of the country. How people live. What people do.
I love to watch people.

When Jeremy and I went to New Jersey we also got to spend a day in New York City. 
And what a city it is!






When I went to the Bay Area for the conference I also got to spend a day in San Francisco.
Beautiful.
I would easily go back and spend some considerable time in San Francisco.
I even got to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge on my way to see my cousin, his wife, and their new baby.

One time, as I sat and listened to a missionary presentation by a man I highly respect and appreciate for his and his wife's work, I appreciated what he said.

He showed some photos of different places around the world that they'd been. He made the point that if they hadn't committed their lives to the full-time work for the Lord they may have never made it to these places. It was because of the Lord's doing that they ended up being able to visit some incredible places around the world.

Was this bad? No! They enjoy (just like me) seeing new places and doing new things.

I have to say.
New York City
and
San Francisco 
have been on my bucket list for years.
Something drew my interest.
(For NYC, since I was a young kid I've wanted to see the Statue of Liberty!)

Would I have been able to see these places if I hadn't been asked to speak at these conferences?
Maybe yes; maybe no.

But I couldn't help but think about that presentation by the respected man, how God blesses us with things we enjoy. Not always! But many times.

Was I obedient in going to share at these conferences--even when public speaking isn't my thing? 
Yes.
Was I blessed?
Yes.
Was I thankful I did it?
Yes.
Was I blessed again when these conferences were near places I've wanted to go?
Yes.
Does God give the strength and ability to carry out His will?
Yes.
Does God bless again by allowing me to see places I've wanted to see for so long?
Yes.

God is good. He gives us the strength ability to carry out what He has for us. He also blesses us by showing us that He cares about what we care about.


I am thankful for many things right now--sure I got to see these two great cities and enjoy observing the people--but more importantly I appreciate the fact that God showed me so many people who care about what He is doing around the world, Burundi being one of those places.


Thanks for reading; thanks for praying. 
 

4 comments:

Dana said...

I am curious what you talked about. San Francisco is pretty cool, isn't it? New York is on my bucket list too.

~ Tandis ~ said...

I would have loved to hear you speak as well. You certainly did do "all things through Christ who strengthens me" as you went to speak at those meetings. I am thanking the Lord for your safety in travels and how He blessed your times as well.

~ Tandis ~ said...

Oh... and I really, really loved this post. :)

Jessica said...

Your dad, being the man he is, wondered what you have to say at a conference. He had all kinds of suggestions for you but I told him it was too late, you were already enroute. Oh brother. ;)